Quit Smoking Advice
It is never too late to quit smoking and start your journey to improved health, well-being, and quality of life. We at MediCare are here to support you with helpful advice and tips on how to successfully give up cigarettes! In addition to advice, we also stock a range of Nicotine Replacement Therapies (NRT), including patches, gum, lozenges, and inhalers.
By asking you a few quick questions about your smoking habits and lifestyle, we can help you choose the product best suited to your needs. We can also recommend ways to manage cravings and withdrawals and let you know what to expect when you stop.
Giving up smoking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. However, everyone’s reasons for quitting will be different. Below are some of the benefits you can look forward to when you stop smoking:
- You will feel better and look healthier.
- You will be fitter, have more energy and enjoy a better quality of life.
- You will protect your family’s health and reduce their exposure to second-hand smoke.
- You will help prevent premature ageing caused by smoking.
- You will save more money.
Health benefits of stopping:
- After 20 minutes: Your heart rate drops
- 8 hours: Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood reduce by half
- 1 day: Carbon monoxide and nicotine are cleared from your body
- 2 days: Your ability to taste and smell is improved
- 2-12 weeks: Circulation improves and your lung function increases
- 1 year: Your risk of having a heart attack falls to half that of a smoker
- 5 years : Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker, in most cases
- 10 years: Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker
- 15 years: Your risk of having a heart attack falls to that of a non-smoker
Tips for quitting:
Prepare yourself with positive thinking: You may have made a quit attempt before and not succeeded but don’t be discouraged. Make a list of why you are quitting – pros and cons. Think you can do it.
Make a plan: Pick your quit date and stick to it. Gradually cut down your smoking.
Get support: Your MediCare pharmacist can encourage you to quit and can help you with each step you take. No appointment necessary! Speak to a family member, a friend, or your GP for support.
Manage your cravings and withdrawal symptoms: Once you decide to quit, your body will crave the nicotine. Remember your cravings will pass in just a few minutes! When you feel the urge to smoke, think about something else and move away from the situation. Don’t be worried about withdrawal symptoms, they are common. They are positive signs that your body is recovering from the effects of tobacco.
Watch what you eat and drink: Eat little and often and try to avoid allowing yourself to go too hungry as this may trigger cravings. Choose your snacks carefully, such as, fresh fruit, raw vegetables, or low-fat yoghurt. Avoid high sugar fizzy drinks, too much caffeine and limit your amount of alcohol, try to drink more water and juices.
Digestion: You may experience a difference in your digestion after quitting smoking – talk to a member of our pharmacy team who can give you great advice on dealing with constipation, diarrhoea or stomach upset.
Count your savings: Put away the amount of money you would normally spend on cigarettes per week and watch it grow, you will be surprised!
Take one day at a time: It may take a while to get used to being without a cigarette in your hand but remember the list of reasons why you are quitting.
If you feel struggling, please visit your local MediCare pharmacy, and speak to a member of our pharmacy team for advice and support. You are not alone; we are here with you.
Be Proud to Be a Quitter!